Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Melissa Jones
    What I gain from engaging with online communities.
    15 March
    Public discussion Created by Melissa Jones

What benefits are you getting out of being apart of DT online communities? What would you say to someone to encourage them to participate in DT online communities? In your post please tell us:

1. Who you are
    2. What you teach
    3. What online communities you are apart of
    4. What you gain from engaging in these communities

Thanks for sharing @Hamish.Johnston it's good to know communities have value - especially when we're all in this learning together. smiley If you have any top tips for beginners or cool ideas from your experiences to share, that would be fantastic too. Technical support for loading media into Ngā Kiriahi can be found @ https://ngakiriahi.kiatakatu.ac.nz/pages/view/3236/nga-kiriahi-instructional-videos-em

- By Tessa Gray
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Melissa Jones
        By Melissa Jones
        Mar 15

Sina Lologa I would love to hear what you gain from participating in online communities.

• Sina Lologa
          By Sina Lologa
          Mar 18

Talofa koutou... My name is Sina Lologa.  I am a classroom teacher at Sir Edmund Hillary Collegiate, Otara, Middle School!  I teach Yr 7 students.  I guess I am on any online community that I have clicked on at the end of each Pikau.  I actually didn't realise that clicking on the community discussions at the end of each Pikau was part of the learning tasks as I just thought I had finished the Pikau.  It was only when our school had a open discussion on how we were going on our Pikau that I realised I needed to participate in order for my Community wheel to show some form of progress.  Yet all the tasks given to try out.. I had religiously tried them out on my class and talked about it with my peers and students but I had not taken that next step.  Once I got the idea of how to participate in the community chat groups I found it was just like facebook.  I liked reading about other teacher's experiences and what they are doing in their classrooms as this is where I get most of my ideas from.  I like it better when teachers post up photos or videos from their classroom practise as this is more inspiring.  One of the most beneficial things that I find we do at our school is we share with each other things we are doing in our classroom to do with our Pikau tasks.  This helps everyone to row our waka together.

• Melissa Jones
            By Melissa Jones
            Mar 25

Hi Ruth.Davey1,

What value do you get out of participating in on-line communities?

• Hamish Johnston
              By Hamish Johnston
              Apr 17
              1. Who you are? Hamish
              2. What you teach? Digital Technology
              3. What online communities you are apart of? DTTA / TENZ / This / Social Studies Online
              4. What you gain from engaging in these communities? A supportive community to share ideas and resources
              • Tessa Gray
                By Tessa Gray
                Apr 26

Thanks for sharing Hamish Johnston it's good to know communities have value - especially when we're all in this learning together. smiley If you have any top tips for beginners or cool ideas from your experiences to share, that would be fantastic too. Technical support for loading media into Ngā Kiriahi can be found @ https://ngakiriahi.kiatakatu.ac.nz/pages/view/3236/nga-kiriahi-instructional-videos-em

Latest news
              • Changes in Ngā Rōpū (groups)
                Kia ora i te whānau, you may have already noticed some changes to the structure of the groups (Ngā Rōpū) in Ngā Kiriahi. We now have 6 Featured groups for English Medium that parent (or host) several related sub-groups within them. PLEASE NOTE: To become a member of the subgroups, you will be...
              • June gets ready for 2020 with Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko
                June gets ready for 2020 with Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko
                For June Thompson, Digital Technologies is an area of learning she has an active interest in applying in her classroom. Since joining Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko, the National Digital Readiness Programme, she has gained more knowledge and resources to add to her pīkau (or toolkit). June is gaining...
              • Ngā Kiriahi kanohi i te kanohi pānui
                Welcome to our Ngā Kiriahi community pānui or news round-up for both Māori Medium and English Medium. Latest threads: MM: Ki tā te Māori tirohanga, he aha ngā pūmanawa o Māui rāua ko Mahuika? EM: Staff PD Unanswered threads:   MM: He tau hou, he wawata...
              Event calendar