Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Joanne Roberts
    Scratch and ScratchJr
    25 March
    Public discussion Created by Joanne Roberts

I've used Scratch with a Yr 6 class. Once they had had time to 'play' (unstructured learning time) I gave them a specific task. They had to retell a class trip. The jumped at the challenge and produced some great results. 

I also used ScratchJr with a group of 5-7 year olds. I didn't show them all the functions but they soon found a lot of them. A lot of the students had many sprites and of course they all found how to make the sounds! I wasn't with that group long enough to get any specific projects out of them but I did notice they went back to the 'game' in their own time.

Kia ora @Joanne.Roberts, so awesome to have you guide us through Pīkau videos and also here in our community. I'm glad you've bought up Scratch and ScratchJr, I see examples of Scratch in the Pikau videos and often hear teachers asking about which version to use. 

ScratchJr I personally like the graphic interface of ScratchJr that enables younger users to tell a story visually and then make this come alive with simple instructions. It looks less daunting than a blank canvas (for both teachers and students) in Scratch. I also see Gamefroot has that visually appealing look/feel too for making games. All have great tutorials and teaching resources.

Apart from the different interface and platforms (web, app) what would you recommend teachers use with lower/middle/senior primary students if they're just starting out themselves? Any examples to share as well?

Image source: Flickr: CC by 2.0 Maze game in ScratchJr by Wesley Fryer

- By Tessa Gray
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Mar 25

Kia ora Joanne Roberts, so awesome to have you guide us through Pīkau videos and also here in our community. I'm glad you've bought up Scratch and ScratchJr, I see examples of Scratch in the Pikau videos and often hear teachers asking about which version to use. 

ScratchJr I personally like the graphic interface of ScratchJr that enables younger users to tell a story visually and then make this come alive with simple instructions. It looks less daunting than a blank canvas (for both teachers and students) in Scratch. I also see Gamefroot has that visually appealing look/feel too for making games. All have great tutorials and teaching resources.

Apart from the different interface and platforms (web, app) what would you recommend teachers use with lower/middle/senior primary students if they're just starting out themselves? Any examples to share as well?

Image source: Flickr: CC by 2.0 Maze game in ScratchJr by Wesley Fryer

Latest news
      • Changes in Ngā Rōpū (groups)
        Kia ora i te whānau, you may have already noticed some changes to the structure of the groups (Ngā Rōpū) in Ngā Kiriahi. We now have 6 Featured groups for English Medium that parent (or host) several related sub-groups within them. PLEASE NOTE: To become a member of the subgroups, you will be...
      • June gets ready for 2020 with Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko
        June gets ready for 2020 with Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko
        For June Thompson, Digital Technologies is an area of learning she has an active interest in applying in her classroom. Since joining Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko, the National Digital Readiness Programme, she has gained more knowledge and resources to add to her pīkau (or toolkit). June is gaining...
      • Ngā Kiriahi kanohi i te kanohi pānui
        Welcome to our Ngā Kiriahi community pānui or news round-up for both Māori Medium and English Medium. Latest threads: MM: Ki tā te Māori tirohanga, he aha ngā pūmanawa o Māui rāua ko Mahuika? EM: Staff PD Unanswered threads:   MM: He tau hou, he wawata...
      Event calendar