Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Anna Moratti
    Staff PD
    13 May
    Public discussion Created by Anna Moratti

I am starting the Pikau toolkits with my Team/Staff this week. Any tips? 

@Natalia.King-Taylor TIP is a great idea to help grow knowledge and capacity collectively. I'm going to try the same TIP activity with the teachers I work with, so thank you for sharing this.

I'm also going to make some time to explore some more of these archived activities from CSUnplugged as well. How were you going to collate the teacher resources? In a website or folders?

- By Tessa Gray
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Jul 26

@Natalia.King-Taylor TIP is a great idea to help grow knowledge and capacity collectively. I'm going to try the same TIP activity with the teachers I work with, so thank you for sharing this.

I'm also going to make some time to explore some more of these archived activities from CSUnplugged as well. How were you going to collate the teacher resources? In a website or folders?

• Natalia King-Taylor
          By Natalia King-Taylor
          Jul 21

Kia ora koutou smiley

What I started with to engage staff was to create a TIP chart in our staffroom where the chart is very visual. I gave each staff member a Term around the DT curriculum (e.g. algorithm) and each staff member had to write on a sticky note, Information (definition) about the term and then draw a Picture illustrating that term.
          All terms are on our staffroom wall in a TIP chart.

This activity was to learn and understand the vocabulary... much like we expect our tamariki to do! 

At our admin hui, I challenge teachers to try an unplugged activity in their classrooms.

I am going to create a shared folder this term for teachers to share ideas that they have tried in their classrooms and also all teachers have to have completed the self review by week 3 of this term. We will then move into completing pikau within our teams (allocating 15-20 minutes).

It's a start and if anyone has some tips on engaging staff or any activities they have used/tried/tested... please let me know! 

Cheerieslaugh

• Prudence Jenkins
            By Prudence Jenkins
            May 28

Thanks for this Tessa!

• Tessa Gray
              By Tessa Gray
              May 15

Kia ora Anna Moratti Some possibilities to help lead this with your staff could include:

• Ensure everyone is logged in and can access pīkau toolkits (either MM or EM) before a shared session
              • Complete your online profile

• Encourage everyone to complete Te Tokorima-a-Mahuika, the self review tool
              • Possibly take screenshots of results and share in a Google slide (if comfortable making your learning visible)
              • Celebrate and honour the strengths of your team

• Have someone trial some of toolkits just a little ahead of the rest of the staff so they know what's coming up and worth highlighting supporting others with

• If your staff is small enough, dedicate 20 mins-or-so to diving into the pīkau together - bring your own devices and headphones, otherwise do this in syndicates/faculties
              • Set a wero (challenge) to complete pīkau individually before the next staff/syndicate meeting
              • Set a wero (challenge) to comment in linked threads in Ngā Kiriahi
              • Set a wero (challenge) to trial a new idea in the classroom - either plugged or unplugged
              • Could incentivise/gamify the challenges above

• Share back to each other and discuss and reflect on successes, challenges, new ideas going forward
              • Revisit self review tool and celebrate progress
              • Link to appraisal

Anyone else have any good ideas?

Latest news
            • Ngā Kiriahi kanohi i te kanohi pānui
              Welcome to our Ngā Kiriahi community pānui or news round-up for both Māori Medium and English Medium. Latest threads: MM: Ki tā te Māori tirohanga, he aha ngā pūmanawa o Māui rāua ko Mahuika? EM: Staff PD Unanswered threads:   MM: He tau hou, he wawata...
            • Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko events during Tech Week
              Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko has few events going on during Tech Week that may of interest to you all and your schools or kura. Please feel free to get involved or to share. Let's keep the campfires stoked and warm!   Techweek   Kia Takatū events during Tech...
            • FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
              FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
              Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko will be in your region offering free workshops to support teachers, kaiako and leaders to better understand and implement the Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko curricula content.   Ki te Ahikāroa or Regional Meetups are hands-on, engaging workshops and...
            Event calendar