Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tessa Gray
    VR and AR: Is this something students can produce?
    5 September
    Public discussion Created by Tessa Gray

Note: Following portion cross-posted from Enabling e-Learning (VLN);

Artificial intelligence, Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality are changing the way our young people (and ourselves) communicate, see the world, frame reality, get their entertainment and content. You don't have far to look to see immersive experiences are becoming part of the way we interact in business, travel, training and now education.

In this Tedtalks video, This virtual lab will revolutionize science class, Michael Bodekaer talks about how virtual reality is no longer part of some distant future, and it's not just for gaming and entertainment anymore but can help make quality education more accessible. 

https://youtu.be/iF5-aDJOr6U

So why is this so important? Out of a study of 160 students (undertaken by a learning psychologist) they found a whopping 76% increase in the learning effectiveness when students accessed virtual laboratories over traditional teaching methods. But even more interestingly, the second part of this study investigated what the teacher's impact was on the learning and they found that when you combined the virtual laboratories with teacher-led coaching and mentoring, they saw a staggering 101% increase in the learning effectiveness, which effectively doubles the science teacher's impact with the same amount of time spent 'teaching'.

Find out more @ 3D Gaming and Virtual Reality

My wondering is... beyond engaging in immersive experiences (as consumers), can students also be producers/creators of virtual reality and augmented reality digital experiences? 

Thanks for sharing these examples. This webinar from edWeb by Jaime Donally from USA  is a good up to date overview of what is available at the moment in the AR/VR realm for schools and provides further examples of what students have created or used.

As usual, I think the gold here is going to be providing students with the tools and skills needed to create (rather than just consume) AR/VR experiences. A key message from the webinar is that this doesn't need to be about complicated, expensive, full-on VR set-ups: a web-browser is all that is need to create content that can be viewed on a tablet, iPad or phone using augmented reality similar to what most people are increasingly familiar with from playing with Snapchat or Pokemon Go.

- By Clive Francis
      • Clive Francis
        By Clive Francis
        Jan 17

Thanks for sharing these examples. This webinar from edWeb by Jaime Donally from USA  is a good up to date overview of what is available at the moment in the AR/VR realm for schools and provides further examples of what students have created or used.

As usual, I think the gold here is going to be providing students with the tools and skills needed to create (rather than just consume) AR/VR experiences. A key message from the webinar is that this doesn't need to be about complicated, expensive, full-on VR set-ups: a web-browser is all that is need to create content that can be viewed on a tablet, iPad or phone using augmented reality similar to what most people are increasingly familiar with from playing with Snapchat or Pokemon Go.

• Allanah King
          By Allanah King
          Sep 16

I spent some of tonight assembling Cardboards for Conservation week 

https://squawksquad.co.nz/

A design challenge of its own

• Ngā Kiriahi
            By Ngā Kiriahi
            Sep 11

Thanks Monika Limmer for sharing your examples, I can see how creating virtual reality assets could be handy for orientation, safety instructions and motivational for writing tasks. Also reminds me of The day made of glass 2 video where the students interact with dinosaurs using AR and their mobile tablets.

Thanks for sharing your Enabling e-Learning story too @Tyne.Crowe1, the webinar recording of you talking about your students creating VR experiences is also appreciated, thanks again for being trail blazers and sharing so freely here.

Geoff Bentley your technical knowledge of what tools/technologies can work best is invaluable. I'm loving the links between art (models, animation etc) and coding (CoBlocks, JavaScript, TypeScript). I'd also be interested in hearing how the students at Rototuna are sharing their AR/VR environments and with whom...

• Geoff Bentley
              By Geoff Bentley
              Sep 10

That's awesome and impressive, Tyne! You can also play WebVR-based experiences on the Vive using Chrome or Firefox too, and therefore any CoSpaces Edu experiences can be viewed in high-end VR.

PlayCanvas is a great online game engine and can be used for creating WebVR experiences - it's more advanced than CoSpaces, but easier than Unity.

Emma, I've messaged you.

• Emma Scobie-Jennings
                By Emma Scobie-Jennings
                Sep 9

I've got some students keen to have a go at creating VR content - I'd love a trial code for CoSpaces Edu to have a play around with Geoff before I fork out more money ;) We've bought some Google Cardboard headsets.

• Tyne Crow
                  By Tyne Crow
                  Sep 8

At Pakuranga College, we purchased an HTC Vive soon after it came available. We did already have students doing a good amount of programming in our digital technologies programme but we weren't sure how much original content for VR they would be able to create. We did have some exceptionally dedicated students who were extremely motivated to program original content for the Vive and ended up programming and creating all of the content for a completely original game they managed to sell. I don't think it would be easy to have whole classes producing that depth of content as it was more of an extra-curricular project but there are ways students can use tools to create different sorts of VR content without too much effort. There's a TKI video series that outlines what our students did: 

http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Teaching/Future-focused-learning/Virtual-reality

And here's the game they made:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/746500/Totally_Realistic_Sledding_VR/

Since this group of students made the first game other students are now also creating content. These students have used Unity which is a fairly advanced game development kit but as I mentioned there are much more accessible tools. 

• Monika Limmer
                    By Monika Limmer
                    Sep 5

I'm working at Allenvale School in Christchurch with Special Ed students, and yes they can definitely be creators. I am currently using google tour creator https://vr.google.com/tourcreator/ to build a virtual tour of our school with our classes, and our students help take the 360 images, upload it, and then create and add information to each scene before they share it.

It's easy, and the great thing is that we can add audio instead of text if we want to describe our scene - or we can use the process as a writing prompt. Also you can use any 360 images, so one from Google or whatever is fine - great for topic work or if someone is really into dinosaurs etc.

We are also collaborating with another school in Christchurch (StAC), and their Digitech Students have managed to create specific content for our VR headsets to teach our students about road safety - they modelled our street and had cars drive down it. This has been a great collaboration that benefitted both student groups.

Let me know if you want any more info.

• Geoff Bentley
                      By Geoff Bentley
                      Sep 5

I'm working with students at Rototuna Junior High School in Hamilton who are doing this, creating and coding 3D/VR/AR environments in CoSpaces Edu, and importing 3D objects they've made in TinkerCAD (beginner), Vectary (intermediate), and Clara.io (advanced). They're also making 3D objects in VR using Google Blocks, however this currently requires a high-end VR headset.

I'm a cheerleader for this technology, but only as a tool - it's too easy for humans to drop out of reality and become addicted to immersive environments.

There are a few caveats for using this tech, like limited use for students under 13, as their eyes are still growing, but the ability to visualise, simulate, and explore different places and situations in a safe environment is creating real benefits for architectures & construction, training, tourism, and marketing, so I think it's good for students to have the opportunity to explore this medium.

I'm also an ambassador for CoSpaces Edu, so if anyone would like a Pro trial code, let me know.

Latest news
                    • FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
                      FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
                      Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko will be in your region offering free workshops to support teachers, kaiako and leaders to better understand and implement the Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko curricula content.   Ki te Ahikāroa or Regional Meetups are hands-on, engaging workshops and...
                    • A virtual tour of Ngā Kiriahi | He tirotiro mariko i Ngā Kiriahi
                      A virtual tour of Ngā Kiriahi | He tirotiro mariko i Ngā Kiriahi
                      Meetup details: Date: Mar 28, 2019 Time: 03:30 PM - 04:30 PM Type: Online Webinar   Join us for a virtual tour of Ngā Kiriahi - Kia Takatū-a-Matihiko's virtual learning community. Tess and Hōhepa will be our tour guides and will share with us how to effectively navigate this...
                    • Community pānui: Around the virtual watering hole March 2019
                      Community pānui: Around the virtual watering hole March 2019
                      Kia ora, here's the latest summary of conversations happening across Ngā Kiriahi for the start of 2019. What kaupapa have you been engaging with? What new ideas have you gathered and/or trialed as a result of the pīkau (online courses) or ahikaroa (meet ups). What questions do you...
                    Event calendar