Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Ngā Kiriahi
    What connections do you see between CT ideas from overseas and Aotearoa?
    12 September
    Public discussion Created by Ngā Kiriahi
    SortingThe term “computational thinking” is widely used internationally, and the concept has been influential in the design of curricula around the world.

What connections do you see between the new computational thinking area in the NZ curriculum and computational thinking ideas from overseas?

What could be sorted in your classroom using the sorting network? Have you used the sorting network? How did it go?

No I have not used the sorting network activities yet. However, once the weather warms up I will head outside to have some fun. Would be a great one to do in our school Wonderhub as well. (Library)

- By Nadean Simmons
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Nadean Simmons
        By Nadean Simmons
        Jul 19

No I have not used the sorting network activities yet. However, once the weather warms up I will head outside to have some fun. Would be a great one to do in our school Wonderhub as well. (Library)

• Nadean Simmons
          By Nadean Simmons
          Jul 19

There are lots of similarities between NZ and Overseas CT ideas. Really like the British one best. Simple and easy to see at a glance. Australian one was far too long winded.

• Shirley Bastin
            By Shirley Bastin
            Jul 19

I also found the Barefoot CT graphic really helpful. I like the way it reads like something designed to fit in with NZ Curriculum- not just skills but about personal development etc.

I loved Joanne Roberts sorting activity (why not go to work) as it shows that the activity can be (a) used to solve quite abstract problems, and (b) fun!

• Tessa Gray
              By Tessa Gray
              Jun 27

Nice one @Carolyn.Milne, let us know how much fun you've had with maths and the sorting network! Pictures would cool too, if you can share those?

• Carolyn Milne
                By Carolyn Milne
                Jun 18

There are many connections across school curricula with regard to what computational thinking is; by and large the one thing that everyone agrees on is that this is critical thinking which aids the creation of digital outcomes by learners. We may use slightly different terminology in the various contexts of our particular countries, however, we are all looking for the same outcome(s).

Within my digital technologies classes I can see that we might have some fun with the sorting networks by using mathematical equations  - this would/could also challenge the students numeracy skills!

• Tessa Gray
                  By Tessa Gray
                  Apr 26

Thanks for sharing your connections Diane Rojos Any explanation for how a computer processes music in Logic X (or any other music-making programme) will help students to understand how the programme operates etc, while making music and sharing this enables them to understand about Designing and Developing Digital Outcomes (inputs, outputs, storage types etc). 

There are some great network sorting unplugged ideas to explore, so feel free to add any images/responses from classroom experiences (permissions approved of course) here if you do. We'd love to see them. 

To learn how to add any images or media, there's a video that can help #5 @  https://ngakiriahi.kiatakatu.ac.nz/pages/view/3236/nga-kiriahi-instructional-videos-em

• Diane Rojos
                    By Diane Rojos
                    Apr 19

What could be sorted in your classroom using the sorting network? Have you used the sorting network? How did it go?

I was really fascinated by the programming of the song Twinkle Twinkle Little star using Scratch2. I have Logic X (music producing software) and this has complex programming algorithm. This example helped me understand the processes and the skills of CT.

After the school holiday, I will attempt to use the sorting network activity- we will focus on life cycle, making a sandwich or sequencing a story. 

• Joanne Roberts
                      By Joanne Roberts
                      Mar 18

Kia ora @Anne-Louise.Robertson1 I agree that when the students are composing music they are using CT skills. They hear a 'wrong' note and debug to make it sound better. They use loops to repeat parts to give the composition balance. I agree it is examples like this that can encourage teachers to see how DT & HM can be integrated across the learning areas. Also, the perseverance students show when they 'debug' while they are practicing to get each piece correct, that's a great CT skill.

• Joanne Roberts
                        By Joanne Roberts
                        Mar 18

Sina Lologa Great to hear about you using the sorting network in your classroom. Well done for getting the children to draw it up, I know that can be a challenge. I think it is best to start with numbers and then work up to other, more challenging items. I'm glad your class was able to work collaboratively and debug. It sounds like you are naturally dropping the terminology into your conversations too. Well done! 

• Joanne Roberts
                          By Joanne Roberts
                          Mar 12

I tried using the sorting network once to order a list the order of which I wasn't sure of before I put it through the sorting network. I made up 6 reasons not to come to work (car wouldn't start, broken leg, sick etc). I couldn't decide which was the best excuse so thought I'd see what would happen when I put the 6 options through the network. Much to my surprise it worked. Each option was compared with the others and it produced an order which I agreed was a useful order from best excuse to worst. Having to just compare two excuses at a time made it much easier to sort. 

Latest news
                        • Ngā Kiriahi kanohi i te kanohi pānui
                          Welcome to our Ngā Kiriahi community pānui or news round-up for both Māori Medium and English Medium. Latest threads: MM: Ki tā te Māori tirohanga, he aha ngā pūmanawa o Māui rāua ko Mahuika? EM: Staff PD Unanswered threads:   MM: He tau hou, he wawata...
                        • Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko events during Tech Week
                          Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko has few events going on during Tech Week that may of interest to you all and your schools or kura. Please feel free to get involved or to share. Let's keep the campfires stoked and warm!   Techweek   Kia Takatū events during Tech...
                        • FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
                          FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
                          Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko will be in your region offering free workshops to support teachers, kaiako and leaders to better understand and implement the Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko curricula content.   Ki te Ahikāroa or Regional Meetups are hands-on, engaging workshops and...
                        Event calendar