Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tony Cairns
    Ethics and morality of AI
    24 June
    Public discussion Created by Tony Cairns

Will we examine the  ethic and morality of AI algorithms in policy as well as the functions?

You're so right @Laura.Butler2 and Clive! I think it's timely to have well-rounded discussions about this space with our kids. Who makes the decisions? Who will they benefit? How do we know if the decisions are moral, ethical, just and fair?  

As we face an increasing amount of global issues/wicked problems, then the effective use of AI may well help the human condition...just like this Microsoft AI advertisement I found myself being drawn to...

This could become part of a localised electric garden project Laura for your juniors - tracking the growth of plants etc. smiley https://www.electricgarden.nz/about-us/

Long term, interesting to be aware of the potential implications of Artificial Intelligence for education and industry (CORE Education's Ten Trends, p57). What do you think, is this something we can take to the kids

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Jan 21

You're so right Laura Butler and Clive! I think it's timely to have well-rounded discussions about this space with our kids. Who makes the decisions? Who will they benefit? How do we know if the decisions are moral, ethical, just and fair?  

As we face an increasing amount of global issues/wicked problems, then the effective use of AI may well help the human condition...just like this Microsoft AI advertisement I found myself being drawn to...

This could become part of a localised electric garden project Laura for your juniors - tracking the growth of plants etc. smiley https://www.electricgarden.nz/about-us/

Long term, interesting to be aware of the potential implications of Artificial Intelligence for education and industry (CORE Education's Ten Trends, p57). What do you think, is this something we can take to the kids

• Clive Francis
          By Clive Francis
          Jan 17

This is always an interesting space to think about and debate!

I found this infographic linked to this report. Perhaps you could run an activity where students are given the myths and have to act like mythbusters to research and debate how mythical or factual they think they are...?

2016-myths-full.jpg

• Laura Butler
            By Laura Butler
            Jul 10

Wish this forum had an upvote button!

I see this as part of digital citizenship (the user side of digital) too, but I struggle with my junior class to approach it correctly.

A conversation we should be having with students, but also in our own professional bodies (eg. what if a student doesn't want Google to have a profile of them as a learner?) etc.

If anyone has any resources (for students or professionals) would love to share them as definitely other curriculum areas this could fit into.

Latest news
          • FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
            FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
            Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko will be in your region offering free workshops to support teachers, kaiako and leaders to better understand and implement the Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko curricula content.   Ki te Ahikāroa or Regional Meetups are hands-on, engaging workshops and...
          • A virtual tour of Ngā Kiriahi | He tirotiro mariko i Ngā Kiriahi
            A virtual tour of Ngā Kiriahi | He tirotiro mariko i Ngā Kiriahi
            Meetup details: Date: Mar 28, 2019 Time: 03:30 PM - 04:30 PM Type: Online Webinar   Join us for a virtual tour of Ngā Kiriahi - Kia Takatū-a-Matihiko's virtual learning community. Tess and Hōhepa will be our tour guides and will share with us how to effectively navigate this...
          • Community pānui: Around the virtual watering hole March 2019
            Community pānui: Around the virtual watering hole March 2019
            Kia ora, here's the latest summary of conversations happening across Ngā Kiriahi for the start of 2019. What kaupapa have you been engaging with? What new ideas have you gathered and/or trialed as a result of the pīkau (online courses) or ahikaroa (meet ups). What questions do you...
          Event calendar