Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tony Cairns
    Ethics and morality of AI
    24 June
    Public discussion Created by Tony Cairns

Will we examine the  ethic and morality of AI algorithms in policy as well as the functions?

You're so right @Laura.Butler2 and Clive! I think it's timely to have well-rounded discussions about this space with our kids. Who makes the decisions? Who will they benefit? How do we know if the decisions are moral, ethical, just and fair?  

As we face an increasing amount of global issues/wicked problems, then the effective use of AI may well help the human condition...just like this Microsoft AI advertisement I found myself being drawn to...

This could become part of a localised electric garden project or a project using Micro:Bit moisture sensors Laura for your juniors - tracking the growth of plants etc. smiley https://www.electricgarden.nz/

Long term, interesting to be aware of the potential implications of Artificial Intelligence for education and industry (CORE Education's Ten Trends, p57). What do you think, is this something we can take to the kids

- By Tessa Gray
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Laura Butler
        By Laura Butler
        Jul 10

Wish this forum had an upvote button!

I see this as part of digital citizenship (the user side of digital) too, but I struggle with my junior class to approach it correctly.

A conversation we should be having with students, but also in our own professional bodies (eg. what if a student doesn't want Google to have a profile of them as a learner?) etc.

If anyone has any resources (for students or professionals) would love to share them as definitely other curriculum areas this could fit into.

• Clive Francis
          By Clive Francis
          Jan 17

This is always an interesting space to think about and debate!

I found this infographic linked to this report. Perhaps you could run an activity where students are given the myths and have to act like mythbusters to research and debate how mythical or factual they think they are...?

2016-myths-full.jpg

• Tessa Gray
            By Tessa Gray
            Jan 21

You're so right Laura Butler and Clive! I think it's timely to have well-rounded discussions about this space with our kids. Who makes the decisions? Who will they benefit? How do we know if the decisions are moral, ethical, just and fair?  

As we face an increasing amount of global issues/wicked problems, then the effective use of AI may well help the human condition...just like this Microsoft AI advertisement I found myself being drawn to...

This could become part of a localised electric garden project or a project using Micro:Bit moisture sensors Laura for your juniors - tracking the growth of plants etc. smiley https://www.electricgarden.nz/

Long term, interesting to be aware of the potential implications of Artificial Intelligence for education and industry (CORE Education's Ten Trends, p57). What do you think, is this something we can take to the kids

Latest news
          • Changes in Ngā Rōpū (groups)
            Kia ora i te whānau, you may have already noticed some changes to the structure of the groups (Ngā Rōpū) in Ngā Kiriahi. We now have 6 Featured groups for English Medium that parent (or host) several related sub-groups within them. PLEASE NOTE: To become a member of the subgroups, you will be...
          • June gets ready for 2020 with Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko
            June gets ready for 2020 with Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko
            For June Thompson, Digital Technologies is an area of learning she has an active interest in applying in her classroom. Since joining Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko, the National Digital Readiness Programme, she has gained more knowledge and resources to add to her pīkau (or toolkit). June is gaining...
          • Ngā Kiriahi kanohi i te kanohi pānui
            Welcome to our Ngā Kiriahi community pānui or news round-up for both Māori Medium and English Medium. Latest threads: MM: Ki tā te Māori tirohanga, he aha ngā pūmanawa o Māui rāua ko Mahuika? EM: Staff PD Unanswered threads:   MM: He tau hou, he wawata...
          Event calendar