Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tessa Gray
    How do you learn best? Are you more like Mahuika or Māui?
    1 June
    Public discussion Created by Tessa Gray

Mahuika Mahuika, the keeper of fire possesses many traits such as kaitīaki/guardianship, responsible, insightful, long fuse/patient, protector, fierce, social good. These same traits can guide us online. #belikemahuika

Māui

Māui possesses qualities like playfulness, innovative, adaptable, growth mindset, risk-taker, curiosity, problem solver, crafty, goal-oriented, active pursuit, bug fixer and collaborator. #belikemāui

How do you learn best? Are you more like Mahuika or Māui? Why? Be brave, dive in and share a few sentences about yourself in the comments section below, so we can get to know each and learn from one another -tuakana–teina.

Banner

I am probably a combination of both, I start out like Mahuika, a little more reserved and watchful but once I experience some success I become more like Maui.

- By Kerri Bailey
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Lee Walker
        By Lee Walker
        Mar 5

I'm Mahuika in that I like to know what it is about and then look for opportunities to implement.

• Lisa Smith
          By Lisa Smith
          Mar 4

I am a bit of both. I love to try new things and problem solve, but also need to see value and meaning in what I am doing.

• Marleen George
            By Marleen George
            Mar 3

I feel like I am a bit of both. I prefer learning when it's more hands on where I can explore a range of avenues. I enjoy taking risks in my learning but also find it really important to be like Mahuika and support my students when it comes to the digital world.

• Mandy O'Reilly
              By Mandy O'Reilly
              Mar 3

I'm a bit of both too. Definitely display qualities of both.

• Kallie NgakuruSyder
                By Kallie NgakuruSyder
                Feb 28

I start with the traits of Mahuika- of finding out information and using that, once Im confident i think I transform into Maui and start to create and have a massive tutu.!

• Gaylene Jacobs
                  By Gaylene Jacobs
                  Feb 27

Organically I align to Mahuika wanting to know the detail and very patient, however, I am not afraid to take risks and always open my mind to new learning putting me in the realm of Maui . So, I have one foot on the side of Mahuika and my toes and the ball of my other foot on the side of Maui. 

• Katie Smith
                    By Katie Smith
                    Sep 20

Normally Maui but am trying to behave for this as I need to learn. Maui trying to be Mahuika.

• Kathy Baker
                      By Kathy Baker
                      Aug 23

I'm a bit of both. I love new learning and exploring ideas but I like to be confident and have a sound understanding before I share with students.

• David Haythornthwaite
                        By David Haythornthwaite
                        Aug 9

Mahuika for the most part but when coding and programming have to switch to Maui to take the risks, fix bugs and problem solve.

• Julie Baker
                          By Julie Baker
                          Jul 18

When I was at primary school I got a certificate for 'very responsible behaviour' -  a defining moment in my life!

I'm  like Mahuika - responsible, caring, patient and social good  are all adjectives which describe me.

Though some of those Maui adjectives are pretty accurate too.....

Latest news
                        • We're going completely virtual for Term 2!
                          We are going fully virtual from April 15th until the end of Term 2.  Our first wave of  Kauhaurangi Tuihono / Online Webinars are happening online on a device near you! We know you've got a lot on so we want to keep it brief and ensure our programme is easy to...
                        • Kia Takatū Programme update: COVID-19
                            ***** Important Notice re COVID-19 **** Kia ora e te iwi Please see the link below for important information regarding our programme response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. In short: - We are following the advice and guidance of health officials, Government and the Ministry of...
                        • Video Update: Check out the latest in K te ahikāroa / Meetup space
                          Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko is excited to announce Huinga Hihiko / Super Meetups, as part of the Ki te ahikāroa / Meetups package. We'll be coming to the regions with two-day events for teachers, kaiako, digital technology or hangarau matihiko leaders and senior leadership. No matter where...
                        Event calendar