Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tessa Gray
    The Beebot Junior adventure
    27 November
    Public discussion Created by Tessa Gray

What does, In authentic contexts... with end users in mind look like for juniors and computational thinking? Here's the recipe...

• Take some juniors >>>
    • Mix them up in a group >>>
    • Create and decorate an adventure play board >>>
    • Introduce some Beebots >>>
    • Write some instructions >>>
    • Programme the Beebots >>>
    • Watch the language flow! 
    • Add a problem (collect and deliver cargo) >>>
    • Throw in some design thinking (ideating, prototyping) >>>
    • Design and develop some digital outcomes (Beebot trailer/wagon with 3D printer) >>>
    • Use some creative problem solving and debugging skills and...

Voilā you get Year 1-3 documentary winners for the MADE (Media and Digital Excellence) awards 2018 from Rāwhiti School (Christchurch). Amazing!!

What do you think of this junior school example?

Found some examples on how to explore Beebots in maths. Do you have Beebots in your school? How are your students using them? Any other ideas to share? Beebot

- By Tessa Gray
    NOTE: You have to be a member of the group in order to reply to a discussion
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Jul 31

Found some examples on how to explore Beebots in maths. Do you have Beebots in your school? How are your students using them? Any other ideas to share? Beebot

• Donald James
          By Donald James
          Feb 26

Such a beautiful context for learning about digital technology. I love how much hands on creativity and collaboration is involved that gives the learners so much investment into the world they are creating. Wonderful to see that the video was created by students as well. I'll share this with everyone :)

• Tessa Gray
            By Tessa Gray
            Feb 8

Nice observations James Robson, I agree a video worth sharing for so many reasons.

Sometimes an authentic context comes together so well and really works and other times we're stuck for good ideas...somewhere in there sharing great ideas for authentic contexts is also going to help with integrating DDDO and CT. After all, that just looks like so much fun!

• James Robson
              By James Robson
              Jan 30

Inspiring video!  It shows that imagination and creativity can go along way. The children where fully engaged and the learning was seamlessly integrated across the curriculum. I liked how the children made story cards about where bee bot was going. The stories gave purpose to bee bots travels and it related back to the children's experiences. It was also great to see older children participating in the project. Ka pai, Rāwhiti School! I will share this video with the junior teachers at Forrest Hill School.   

• Ngā Kiriahi
                By Ngā Kiriahi
                Dec 19

Wow @Katrina.Laurie this is a fantastic example of 'In authentic contexts...with end users in mind' in terms of road users and road safety. Another great example of kiwi ingenuity at it's best, thanks so much for sharing. smiley

I think some of us might be wondering what to do with a Sphero or any robots for that matter, if we limit the lessons to coding without putting a problem-solving lens into the exercise. If anyone has other lesson sequences using robots to complete challenges or wero, we'd love to hear/see more.

• Katrina Laurie
                  By Katrina Laurie
                  Dec 18

Really inspired by this learning story! What an amazing outcome that showcases junior students collaborating, communicating, being creative, critically thinking (problem solving), computational thinking- this list could go on. 

I created a Road Safety project that is similar to parts of the learning process the students used from Rāwhiti School. Sphero Road Safety. This could be used with other robots. 

Thanks for sharing this Tessa and to the teachers and students at Rāwhiti, this is awesome :)

Latest news
                • Ngā Kiriahi kanohi i te kanohi pānui
                  Welcome to our Ngā Kiriahi community pānui or news round-up for both Māori Medium and English Medium. Latest threads: MM: Ki tā te Māori tirohanga, he aha ngā pūmanawa o Māui rāua ko Mahuika? EM: Staff PD Unanswered threads:   MM: He tau hou, he wawata...
                • Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko events during Tech Week
                  Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko has few events going on during Tech Week that may of interest to you all and your schools or kura. Please feel free to get involved or to share. Let's keep the campfires stoked and warm!   Techweek   Kia Takatū events during Tech...
                • FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
                  FREE DT & HM Readiness Workshops in your region
                  Kia Takatū ā-Matihiko will be in your region offering free workshops to support teachers, kaiako and leaders to better understand and implement the Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko curricula content.   Ki te Ahikāroa or Regional Meetups are hands-on, engaging workshops and...
                Event calendar